Skin Cancer and Mohs Surgery
Dermatological surgery can include everything from minor removal of benign moles to the more specialized surgical removal of many types of skin cancer.
Dr. Youse is a Mayo Clinic fellowship trained Mohs surgeon and board certified dermatologist who performs Mohs Micrographic Surgery for skin cancer removal. Mohs surgery has higher cure rates than nearly all other forms of treatment because of the way the removed tissue is microscopically examined, evaluating 100% of the surgical margins. This ensures complete cancer removal during surgery, virtually eliminating the chance of the cancer growing back and minimizing the amount of healthy tissue lost. As a Mayo Clinic fellowship trained Mohs surgeon, Dr. Youse performed thousands of skin cancer removal and complex reconstructions during his time at Mayo. Dr. Youse also has a special interest in laser and cosmetic procedures.
Advantages of Mohs surgery include:
- Ensuring complete cancer removal during surgery, virtually eliminating the chance of the cancer growing back
- Minimizing the amount of healthy tissue lost
- Maximizing the functional and cosmetic outcome resulting from surgery
- Repairing the site of the cancer the same day the cancer is removed, in most cases
- Curing skin cancer when other methods have failed
External Resources for Mohs Information:
For more information, visit the American College of Mohs Surgery patient education website.