It’s December, the most wonderful time of year, but not for your skin! Here are some tips to make sure the only snowflakes you see are in the sky!
- Take shorter showers that are more lukewarm. Very hot showers will be more drying.
- Pat dry after your shower and immediately apply a thick cream. Creams are thicker and better moisturizers that lotions. Look for something in a tube, rather than something with a pump.
- Apply cream at least once daily, if you can do twice, even better!
- Avoid fragrances which can be irritating to already dry skin.
- Use a humidifier to keep the air in your room less dry.
- If you are noticing significant flaking, try a moisturizer with lactic acid or salicylic acid. These will exfoliate as they moisturize.
It is important to keep your skin healthy and moisturized as dry, cracked skin can be an easy access point for bacteria and lead to infection. If your dryness is not responding or you are developing red, itchy patches of skin see your dermatologist, as this may require prescription treatment.
-Dr. Caitlyn Foote, MD, FAAD